AMSAT Block of Rooms for Dayton Hamvention

Believe it or not, Spring is here!  The Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues
are winding down and MLB opening day is less than six days away.

Spring is also the season when the 'pilgrimage' (or is it migration?)
to Dayton occurs for thousands of hams for the weekend known as
'Hamvention'.  If you haven't already done so, now is the time to start
making plans for amateur radio's premier show, which includes the 2005
ARRL National Convention.  Details on Hamvention can be found at their
website (www.hamvention.org).  Dates are Friday, 20 MAY -Sunday, 22
MAY.

AMSAT will have a major presence again this year in the same booth
location (445-448).  Details on AMSAT's Hamvention activities can be
found on the AMSAT website
(http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/articles/Dayton2005/).

AMSAT is holding a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn in Fairborn.
There are six singles  and four doubles left in the block.  The hotel
address is 2550 Paramount Place, Fairborn, OH 45324.  This is the same
hotel where we stayed in 2004.  The hotel offers a continental
breakfast and we discovered last year that there is free wireless
internet access.  Room rate is $98.00 per night.

As in past years, AMSAT members desiring a room from this block should
contact Martha (not the hotel) and provide her with the
arrival/departure dates for your stay, type of room desired (king or
two doubles), a credit card number with expiration date (VISA, MC,
Amex, etc.), and daytime phone number (including area code).   AMSAT's
policy is to give preference on room assignments to those who volunteer
to spend time at the booth.  Please consider volunteering for at least
two shifts of 2 hours each over the course of the three day event.  We
also need volunteers to assist with setup on Thursday, 19 May.  In
other words, volunteering to assist at the booth significantly enhances
your chances for a room from the AMSAT block.  Given that much of
Dayton is already booked that weekend, this is a good deal for both our
volunteers and AMSAT.

Please contact Martha via landline (301-589-6062) ***only*** in the
next two weeks or so to make  your room request and to confirm your
willingness to serve as a volunteer.  Do not e-mail Martha.  Again,
contact Martha and not the hotel as she controls room assignments for
the AMSAT block of rooms.  Please keep in mind that Martha will assign
a room to one individual and will not coordinate the sharing of rooms.
Those wishing to share a room need to make their own arrangements to
share with someone else.    Martha in turn will notify me of those who
are volunteering to help at the booth, and I will be e-mailing those
who are willing to assist later (in April) to work out specific booth
hours.

See ya at Dayton!

73

Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW