s-band omni

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about mounting an S-band downconverter outdoors for occasional
use, not specifically for listening to the birds. This unit will be mounted
in a fixed location (no rotors).  It would be great if the finished antenna
was capable of hearing AO-51 also.

I'd like some suggestions on which antenna I should use. The only
requirements are:

* Low or NO cost (I don't want to BUY an antenna) hi hi

* Easy to build with ordinary tools

* Little to no test equipment needed

* Omnidirectional

* Feed should be via short coax section if possible

I've heard good things about the QFH, although I've never built one myself.

Also, has anyone tried a plain-Jane vertical on S-band?

Thanks for any suggestions.73,

Kyle Yoksh
K0KN
Olathe, Kansas