RE: TS-2000 software (firmware) installation

Hi Joel,

I assume you mean the firmware upgrade.

Went through the process of upgrading my TS-2000 with firmware 1.04
and it worked immediately with Windows XP. After reading all the
stories and tips here is what I did:

1. Modify the COM port settings:

Go to "System" then "Hardware" then "Device Manager"
Select (double click) the COM port you are using (it was #1 for me),
Go to "Port Settings" and "Advanced"
Enable FIFO (if not already enabled) and set the "Receive Buffer" to
eight (8) and the "Transmit Buffer" to four (4).
Click "ok" twice and exit Device Manager.

This process requires that you have already a working communication
via serial cable (RS-232)from the PC to the radio as verified by your
memory uploading program or the CAT program.

2. I disabled all unnecessary programs etc. running in the background
and causing potential problems.

Go to the "Start" menu and run: MSCONFIG (type MSCONFIG in the box)
Select "Diagnostic start-up" and hit OK. The computer will ask you to
restart and acknowledge.

After the restart you will have minimal background programs running and
you can start your "TS-2000" Update program

3. Follow EXACTLY the procedures as outlined under:

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts2000_updating/ts_2000_updat
ing.html

Take your time and do it step by step.

Make sure when you are finished with Step 5 and it asks to remove the
power cable that you turn the radio OFF first, before you remove the
power cable. Then you can continue with removing the RS-232 cable etc,
removing the bottom plate to set the switch and so on.

That's it, might sound complicated but I believe it addresses the two
big issues with Windows XP, first the COM port setting and second any
background program that might interrupt the actual firmware
download/writing process.

Let me know if it works.

Stefan, VE4NSA