AO-51 Mode V/S over West Malaysia

Hello Everyone,

Although I do not have much time to operate satellites nowadays, I still
can't resist taking a few minutes off to try out AO-51's mode V/S voice.  I
only managed to try two passes covering West Malaysia, that's at 1510 hours
UTC, 25/03/05 and 1615 hours GMT, 26/03/2005.  These two passes are night
passes as I do not have the chance to test out the morning passes nowadays.

During these passes, the 67 Hz PL tone was activated, and compared to the
last time when the 67 Hz PL tone was not required, the downlink this time
was QRM free.  Of course, QRM was still present but it was not audible due
to the PL tone requirement.

Finding my own signal was easy.  I started from 145.250 MHz, that
corresponds to 2401.250 MHz and tuned all the way down to 145.148 MHz at
LOS.  Signals were around S6 above the noise of about S2 and to my surprise,
signals was full quieting all the time as soon as the satellite raised above
15 degrees.  Equipment used was 10 turn helix for 2.4 GHz, 2x5/8 vertical
for 2M uplink, UEK-3000 downconverter, IC-R7000 for RX and Yaesu FT-847 for
TX.  Doppler was manually compensated by hand.

In my opinion, I like this mode very much as it is not very difficult to
operate and the antennas for 2.4 GHz are also relatively small as compared
to the 2M or 70 CM antennas.

Thank you very much to the control team for such a fine satellite and would
definitely like to work on this mode more often.

73,
Sion Chow Q. C.,
9W2QC.