70cm loop antennas

Hi group,

I've built a pair of W9SR copper loops for 70cm, and wanted to share my
results with the group. The design is by Dick Stroud, W9SR and was published
in the July 2004 QST.

I intended to use these antennas for terrestrial CW/SSB operation. After
installing the antennas a few days ago, I sat down last night to try them
out.

As is often the case, I had a hard time finding any activity near 432, so I
thought about listening to some 435 MHz sat downlinks.

I listened to FO-29 and was amazed how well these loops heard the bird!  I
later made 2 contacts on SO-50 -
KC8ZFN and W0SAT.

The uplink antenna was a Larsen 2/70 mobile whip with counterpoise mounted
abt 30' high.

This was my first attempt at building a pair of stacked antennas.
Construction was pretty easy, especially if you've worked with copper water
pipe before.

After I add a preamp, I'll bet that these loops will work fairly well on the
birds!  This means that I can be active on FO-29 once again!

If you're interested, here are some pictures of the loops:

http://www.planetkc.com/yokshs/70cmloop2.jpg

http://www.planetkc.com/yokshs/70cmloop4.jpg

http://www.planetkc.com/yokshs/70cmloop5.jpg

http://www.planetkc.com/yokshs/70cmloop6.jpg