RE: Re: Communicating

Hi Joe

> Nice article, with many good pointers.  Did you actually have to shoot
> someone to get those radios at those prices or did you just show them the
> gun? ;-)  790s go for $350 to $400 on this side of the pond and 290s are
> generally around $300.

MK1's are circa GBP100 over here. They were pretty popular. I think that the
US versions might only cover a 10MHz segment of the 70cm band on the MK1's,
so they weren't as popular over in the US.

When the FT-817 came out the second hand prices halved for these MK1's and
to a lesser extent the MK2's. I went through a phase of snapping them up on
ebay and at hamfests - I realised in the end that I'd ended up with about
three of each of the 290 and 790 MK1's and a couple each of the 290 and 790
MK2's, so I guess it's probably time to resell some of them!

I have a really neat satellite setup with a pair of MK2's with their
matching linear amplifiers attached that fits into a camera bag slung around
my neck. Also inside is a battery made of D cell 9Ah NiMh's. The benefit of
these older radios is that the receive current is only 100mA so the
batteries last for ever. Unlike some more modern higher power radios, if the
voltage drops a couple of volts on transmit they don't go into meltdown. Add
on an Arrow and you have a really neat multi-mode satellite station.

73, Howard G6LVB