R: under used asset

----- Original Message -----
From: n6ors <n6ors@verizon.net>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 8:26 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] under used asset

> Bob,
> I have to agree with Pat, Using Leo's is like having fieldday every
> day,  Its fun once a year
> but exchanging grid sq's every few seconds gets old fast. If we did
> field day every day it would
> start to suck too. Getting on heo's is no longer any more difficult then
> Leo's but allow long enough
> coverage to have real conversations and roundtables.  My gear and
> projects are on temporary
> hiatus till an Heo goes up too.
>
> Keith N6ORS
> ----

Hi Keith, N6ORS

I had begun on satellite with OSCAR-6 in 1974 continuing with OSCAR-7
OSCAR-8 and it was fun to have round tables and DXs with this LEO satellites
because even if for a few minutes they where carriying linear transponders
in Mode-A, B and J permitting many people at the same time to extend their
CW and SSB activity from the HF in to a promising new world of new
communications capability.

For the italian satellite New-One I got 18 new countries on OSCAR-6 ,12
new countries in OSCAR-7 and 4 on OSCAR-8

Along the DX possibility on CW and SSB using the above LEO satellites the
daily round tables on linear transponders permitted us to join many italian
users in a specific frequency of the passband and to meet togheter to create
the  AMSAT in Italy for wich I served as President for more than 15 years at
that time.

The rest of  the RS and FO satellites served to fill the empty time between
the failure of AMSAT PHASE-3A and the launch of OSCAR-10 but the
transition time between the above LEO satellites was full of hope because
OSCAR-10 changed completely the style of life of many satellite users
opening a communication window never experienced  before and with HEO
satellites the performance end the evolution of communications appeared to
be superior in the future to that offered by the HF both for DX but
particularly for experimental purposes.

OSCAR-13 and AO40 were increasing the potential capability of satellite
activity and during this time the glorious LEO satellite linear transponder
was almost abandoned opening the worldwide communications to every
one and AO40 was named "The Satellite for all" because a 60 cm dish
with a patch feed and an AIDC converter over the balcony on a tripod and
50 watt with almost any antenna for 70 cm was enough to communicate
with the rest of the planet without automatic tracking and automatic doppler
compensation using only the existing VHF and UHF equipments and
$ 300,00 extra expences for the dish and for the AIDC S band converter.

Actually the glorious LEO satellites OSCAR-7 and FO-29 are doing againg
their job helping us to remember that we are still satellite amateur radio
operators and that we are obliged to made a CW or SSB QSO time to time
nothing but in honour of the satellite flag but with easy now using traking
programs on PC instead of the glorious old OSCARLOCATOR and polar
maps.

Actually my personal problem is to demonstrate to the other Ham Radio
operators living in my town that I am still a satellite operator but I am in
trouble because at the time of OSCAR-10, 13 and AO40 my local ham friends
were accustomed to sit down on my shach and talk world wide for hours
looking for satellite DXexpeditions or for technical discussion like they
did in 20 meters or even better.

Actually if someone of those ham friends like to visit my shack to try
again a satellite QSO I became ashamed for my self and I have to invent a
thousand apologies on pretext that someone in my family is sick in bed.

At the end of the story the conclusion is that as long as there is life
there is hope to see another HEO.....no way !

73" de

i8CVS Domenico

Push-pulling for P3E.....