Re: under used asset

Exchanging grid squares on FO-29 or AO-7?  If that's all you are using
these two fine birds for then you are wasting your time and their
batteries.  I have used both these birds for long casual, enjoyable rag
chews.  I've gotten to know several folks from the long conversations I
have had.  FO-29 in particular is a nice bird for group or round table
QSOs.  Many times I have looked forward to the next pass to continue the
conversations.

I have even used AO-51 to rag chew on late night passes when there have
only been two or three of us on the bird.

Granted a HEO would be nice, but to discount the availability and
usability of AO-7, FO-29, or any other LEO is plain silly.

I won't say that AO-51 got me into satellites.  All of the birds got me
into working satellites.  I came in just after AO-40 died, that didn't
discourage me.  Because of satellites I am now much more active in ham
radio as a whole, as an AMSAT area coordinator, and now as the VP of our
local radio club.  I have given talks several times sharing ham radio
and satellites with hams and non-hams.  After twenty five years of doing
nothing in ham radio other than keeping my license renewed, it was
satellites that got me back into the hobby and got me over my fear of
keying the stupid mic.

For those who are involved in funding, building, and managing our fleet
- Thank You!

-Freeman, N5FPP

P.S.  - It's funny how little of substance can be said in the longest
rag chew sessions I have heard on 80m.  I expect a HEO would be much the
same.