9600 baud on Linux with sound card?

Hi folks,

I'd like to try working AO-51's packet system, but my MFJ 1278 TNC only has
the 1200 baud modem installed.  So, the plan is to get my Linux system set
up for 9600 baud packet using its sound card, but don't know quite were to
go next.  The system is running SuSE 9.1 (2.6 kernel), and I think all the
software is loaded.  But what to configure, and what to run?  It's not
obvious which of the many applications I should even look at.  Help!

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH