Re: Mode L/S

I have a similar setup, but with a 20 turn helix--which Wimo says is 13 dB RHCP.  So, how DS got more gain with less turns, I don't know ;)

Anyhow, I have used both the TS-2000X and TS-790A with 10 watts output into maybe a bit longer coax (flexi-9913 type) and have worked stations both on AO-51 and AO-40.

When squint was good with AO-40, it was pretty decent.   With AO-51, it seems to work fine.

Do I wish for more gain, either at the antenna for by more output?  Sure!  But the cost ($$$$ per dB) is pretty significant at these frequencies.

So, when AO-51 runs in L mode, be sure to try it!  I'm sure you'll be successful.

Your receive should be FB on AO-51, too.

A peak at the schedule shows this:

24 Mar
FM Repeater, V/S
Uplink: 145.920 mhz FM, 67 hz PL Tone
Downlink 2401.200 mhz FM

30 Mar - Exp Wed
FM Repeater, L/S
Uplink: 1268.700 mhz FM, No PL Tone
Downlink 2401.200 mhz FM

Looks like a week of V/S starting this Wednesday PM (early Thurs UTC), and then a day of L/S!

Should be fun.  Think I'll try some portable V/S, weather permitting!

73,

Mark N8MH

At 10:31 AM 3/19/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi All
>I am very close to operational L/S.  So armed with a IC-1271A 1.2Ghz
>transceiver at a "huge" 10 watts.  Transmission line at this time is
>LMR400 about 60 feet.  I have some 7/8" heliax with connectors yet to be
>installed.  Antenna is a directive systems DSH23-12, twelve turn helix
>with an advertised gain of 14.5dBic, on a az/el platform.  Receive system
>is 3731 downconverter on a 36" oval primestar dish (worked great on AO-40
>sob sob).
>Given this rudamentry system what can I expect from what I have, and what
>improvements should I make for upcoming HEO satellites.  I know many of
>you have already been there and your advice over the years has been
>invaluable.
>
>73 Bob W7LRD
>Seattle
>----