Re: AO-51 question

Andrew,

The data channel normally operates at 9600bps up/down (sometimes
38400bps down).  At this data rate you will not hear anything other than
what sounds like radio noise or static.  I have noticed I can hear a
slight ringing when the signal is strong and lots of data is being
transfered.  I suspect it's due to the interaction with the filters on
my TS-2000X.

You can tell when the data channel is active by looking at your
S-meter.  When active, AO-51 will push my S-meter to S9+40 (with my mast
mounted preamps).  If you are tuning by hand then tune for maximum
signal level.

-Freeman, N5FPP