AO-51 question

Hello,

   I was listening to the AO-51 pass (at about 15:30 UTC) today.  I
could hear voice traffic, but when I would switch to the data
frequency, I didn't really hear anything at all.  Am I supposed to be
able to hear "modem-like" noises on the data channel?  I am using an
HT with an Arrow antenna (pointing it by hand).  I don't have a preamp
or anything.  To do data with the Arrow antenna, does one need a
preamp?

   Also, I'm using the TH-D7a.  I know I can't do full satellite data
with it, but i thought I should be able to see received data...

   Has anyone tried data with a similar setup?

thanks,
-andrew