Re: R: R: Quadrifilar home brew

At 12:18 PM 3/17/2005 +0100, i8cvs wrote:
> [...]

Domenico,

It was not my intention to say that the QFA is not a good feed, only that
the septum has not been considered by the satellite community to my
knowledge.

The septum has a (fairly) small footprint when used for a center-fed feed.
For f/d > 0.4 then either a flared horn or choke ring is needed to narrow
the beamwidth and that will shaddow a center-fed dish (the same as a
choke-ring circular horn).  I suspect that with an offset fed dish this may
not be nearly as big an issue.

My intention was to bring this new feed to the attention of the satellite
community (esp. thos who like to experiment with various feed types).
Certainly, if only one sense of circular polarity is desire the septum is
under utilized.  On the other hand if one desires to switch polarity
(perhaps in high squint-angle situations) then this feed is quite
convenient because there is no added phasing harness (or circuit) loss
before the preamp (thus providing the best low-noise performance).  This
last feature is what the eme folks are finding particulary attractive.  It
is a new concept so I offer it in that manner.

I suspect that a septum is much easier to build than a QFA.  That is my
other point.

73's Ed