Re: AO-51 PSK31 Mode...

>>Well, I subscribed to the AMSAT-BB *just so* that I would
>>get notices about things happening on the AMSATS in
>>real time without me having to check....[web pages]

>In real time? ..  Or can you tolerate the 20 minutes delay
>between the time a message is posted to the BB...
>Should they post it 1 hour before changing modes?
> What about a day in advance?  2 days?  3?

I'd say a days advance "courtesy reminder" of a special test
would be a nice way to keep the membership informed via
the AMSAT-BB.

>The Control Team posted the schedule in February,
>so you received advanced notice about it.  From what I
>can tell from your post Bob, you expect the Control
>Team to act as your personal assistant.  I think that's a
>bit much to send you an email every time the satellite
>changes modes - I'm sure the Control Team has better
>things to do.

I'm not asking for personal alert.  I am simply saying
that if we want people to use our AMSAT satellites
and to participate in special modes and tests, it would
be nice if there was an AMSAT-BB posted "invitation"
or "reminder" the day of, or the day before the event
just to help out the AMSAT members who dont have
the time to keep up with every issue or web page.

Just saying that this PSK-31 test was posted a month
ago, is not in my mind the best way to do "outreach"...
And outreach is what we need to be doing wherever
we can think of it.....

>I always thought being an adult means that you don't
>need your mother to be responsible for getting you up
>in the morning.  Just like you set an alarm
>clock to get up and go to work, set an alarm clock
>to remind you of the  AO-51 mode if you feel the need.

Well, it seems then that the AMSAT-BB is not about keeping
the membership current about what is going on in the AMSAT
on-orbit assets. I guess you see the AMSAT-BB as just
a place to debate the merits of HEO versus LEO ad
nauseum.

>You know as well as anyone that the BB is not real-time
>nor can it be. It's a store and forward system.  It may operate
>quickly these days, but  it is not real time. If you forget to
>check your email, will you complain that you didn't receive
>a message if it was sent out 1 minute after you last checked?

No, I think of the AMSAT-BB as kind of the Daily News
about what is going on in AMSAT.  In such a Daily News
forum, I would expect to see announcemnets of special
tests going on..   We're down to only 2 or 3 usable
operational sateliites.  If a special test on our  *number 1*
working AMSAT is not even mentioned here, then I guess
I have the wrong expectations for the AMSAT-BB.

de WB4APR, Bob