Re: the question will always be there, LEO or HEO

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:52:38AM -0600, Patrick Green wrote:
> This is interesting.  Echo is the reason I got interested in Sats.  I

This may be so, but AO-40 is the reason I got interested in Sats.
I was not at all interested in LEOs. So there is at least one counter
claim.

Anectodal evidence is no evidence at all. There are a number of amateurs
who got interested in sats because of the HEOs and who got discouraged
when the HEOs died without being replaced. Where are the hard numbers showing
how many amateurs AO-51 has brought into sats? Or even of any of the other
FM LEO birds? (Why was this not asked on the questionnaire?) Conversely,
lets see the hard numbers for amateurs brought into the hobby by HEOs.
It may be true that LEO FM birds do bring new blood into the hobby but
show me the proof. It may also be true that the numbers for amateurs
being brought into the hobby are roughly equal for both types of sats
but where is the proof? This needs to be asked in a proper scientific
questionnaire.

> think that was the aim.  The hobby is shrinking and we need to expand
> the user base.  Now as a result I'm interested in a HEO.  Before I

Expanding the user base should be done by bringing younger people into
the hobby. We have been failing to demonstrate to the younger "geeks" that sats
are "cool." Perhaps the younger set are not attracted to 10 minute FM
hello/goodbye birds but might be attracted to 24/7 birds. Lets have
the proof not mere claims.

Any other bleating on here about LEO vs. HEO is pure speculation with no basis
in fact and only serves to make people angry for no reason. Lets see those
hard numbers. As far as whether the BoD made the right decision about AO-51,
that's water under the bridge. There is nothing any of us can do to bring
back that spent money and undo that decision. The key thing now is whether
AMSAT-NA is listening to the membership. I believe they are.

- 73 Diane VA3DB