R: the question will always be there, LEO or HEO

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Wycoff <GREGWYCOFF@havilandtelco.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 4:04 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] the question will always be there, LEO or HEO

> What better way is there for a "entry level satellite" than to have a HEO
> satellite with Mode-B, many new hams enter this hobby (amateur radio) by
> becoming no-code tech's and most stay at this level because they have no
> interest in the HF portion of the hobby or don't want to mess with the
> code requirements, many of them aquire 2mtr and 70cm'r rigs that do ssb
> modes to get involved with the VHF contest. yes many of these will try the
> FM LEO's but lose interest because at best all you can do is exchange
> callsigns,grids, state, and for those who know one another they can say hi
> hows the  wx and stand by for a short answer.(you dont dare try to have a
> qso thats a cardnal sin) yes one can try FO-29 or AO-7 which are a lot of
> fun but not much activitie beacuse most of the operator who can work these
> satellite are dorment AO-40 operators awaiting for their HEO satellite to
> return (AO-40) or P3E to be launched.
>
> I have given many talkes at clubs and at ham fest over the years, the two
> biggest questions I always get asked are (1. how long can you talk on the
> satellites, 2. how far away can you talk on the satellites.) the HEO
> satellites always get the most attention people become real interested in
> them when you say well you can talk for several hours and around the world
> on a HEO satellite but when you start talking about the LEO satellites
> their interest goes away, go figure.
>
> Say we did have a HEO satellite up in orbit right now, and instead of have
> our kids doing a ISS school contact we set up a station to work this HEO
> satellite to work a DX station in some remote spot in the world with
> another school, just think of the questions they could ask and not have to
>worry about a 10 minute window to get all their questions asked, talk about
> having a educational tool. how cool would that be.
>
> LEO satellites are just a toy to play with, but having a HEO satellite is
> to have a tools to work with.
>
> 73 Greg N0ZHE

Hi Greg, N0ZHE

And having a Mode-B HEO satellite you can do all of this with a 2 m and
a 70 cm antenna  just on a boom over a photographic tripode on your balcony
manually aimed for AZ-EL and  work CW-SSB-RTTY-SSTV-digital experiments
for hours with DX stations,local stations in the emergency,kids in the
school for educational purposes and so on depending on your needs at not
additional cost using your existing VHF and UHF rigs.
Any better ?

Best 73" de

i8CVS Domenico

counting the days for P3E to fly