Re: the question will always be there, LEO or HEO

Greg Wycoff wrote:

> What better way is there for a "entry level satellite" than to have a
> HEO satellite with Mode-B, many new hams enter this hobby (amateur
> radio) by becoming no-code tech's and most stay at this level because
> they have no interest in the HF portion of the hobby or don't want to
> mess with the code requirements, many of them aquire 2mtr and 70cm'r
> rigs that do ssb modes to get involved with the VHF contest. yes many
> of these will try the FM LEO's but lose interest because at best all
> you can do is exchange callsigns, grids, state, and for those who know
> one another they can say hi hows the wx and stand by for a short
> answer.(you dont dare try to have a qso thats a cardnal sin) yes one
> can try FO-29 or AO-7 which are a lot of fun but not much activitie
> beacuse most of the operator who can work these satellite are dorment
> AO-40 operators awaiting for their HEO satellite to return (AO-40) or
> P3E to be launched.
>
> I have given many talkes at clubs and at ham fest over the years, the
> two biggest questions I always get asked are (1. how long can you talk
> on the satellites, 2. how far away can you talk on the satellites.)
> the HEO satellites always get the most attention people become real
> interested in them when you say well you can talk for several hours
> and around the world on a HEO satellite but when you start talking
> about the LEO satellites their interest goes away, go figure.
>
> Say we did have a HEO satellite up in orbit right now, and instead of
> have our kids doing a ISS school contact we set up a station to work
> this HEO satellite to work a DX station in some remote spot in the
> world with another school, just think of the questions they could ask
> and not have to worry about a 10 minute window to get all their
> questions asked, talk about having a educational tool. how cool would
> that be.
>
> LEO satellites are just a toy to play with, but having a HEO satellite
> is to have a tools to work with.
>
> 73 Greg N0ZHE ----

Greg and All,
I think that the LEO's have their place in "easy sat" type operation.
Certainly these types are easier to orbit.  It is by far easier to demo
on the strong birds at a hamfest with minimal equipment to lug around.
I have just come home from a hamfest where I set up a table for AMSAT
and peddled the trinkets, software, membership etc. (no demo, I was
indoors)  I conducted my usual impromptu  survey and "overwhelmingly"
the people that came up to my table to talk and browse have desired an
HEO type bird. "When is?" #1 question. AMSAT is working on this as I
write this note.  As you put it - short 10 minute QSO's are not what the
satellite user's want.  The reminiscing of AO-10 & AO-13 and even AO-40
is on the minds of 90+% of the people I speak with.   I have passed this
on to the hierarchy of AMSAT many times and, if AMSAT is to continue,
the membership's wishes ( & future members) are paramount.  AMSAT is
moving in the right direction and our leadership is more responsive to
the voices from the hills.
For those of us die-hard satellite enthusiasts a signal from space 300
miles up sounds as interesting as one from 26,000 miles.  Now we must go
forward and get together and fund the new bird-Eagle. I know I show the
AMSAT flag at my local hamfests and we all must do our part to remind
the Amateur Radio community that these satellites are not funded by the
government (one of the remarks I heard today!!!??) and AMSAT is the
premier group taking on satellite projects from concept to orbit.   Stop
by the web page and assist with your donations to EAGLE.
73,
Dee, NB2F
NJ AMSAT Coordinator