Re: the question will always be there, LEO or HEO

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I think that the issue of getting
beginners into satellite communication is not LEO vs HEO, but rather the
mode chosen for the bird.

I think that the old Mode A, 2 M up and 10 M down, was ideal for beginners.
HF rigs are common, and it is easy to generate CW RF on 2M. With the
proliferation of do everything rigs like the 817 and 796, , it is even
easier these days. Modest antennas, dipoles and verticals worked fine.

There were lots of guys who got their start keying a 2 M HT to a ground
plane on CW and listening on their HF rig witha dipole, vertical of
tribander. The signals were chirpy, but they got the job done.

The old Oscar 7, 8, and RS birds had lots of activity. They could support
lots of QSOs and if you wanted to chase grids you could and if you wanted to
rag chew you could. Once we had a taste of Mode A we moved up to B or J on
the same bird and then to the HEO birds.

The size of 10 M antennas pretty much limits Mode A to LEO birds, but I
don't think HEO vs LEO is the real arguement. What the community needs to
attract beginners is another Mode A bird. Just my $0.73 worth. - Duffey
--
James R. Duffey KK6MC/5
Cedar Crest NM 87008 DM65