Re: G-5500/G-5400

Mike.  There are two major differences between the 5400 and the 5500.
One important difference is that there is no "remote" Din connector in
the 5400 although it is easy to punch a hole in the rear plate and mount
one along with a few relays to complete the job.  The 5400 has the motor
capacitors built into the box while the 5500 has them mounted in the base
of the rotors.  The 5500 has limit switches which will remove the voltage
from the motors if the rotation range is exceeded.  The 5400 has none
depending on a thermal switch instead.  Rarely does that switch work in
time to protect the transformer which usually burns out first!!!!
The 5500 has voltage regulating IC's where the 5400 uses discrete components.
There are other differences but they are minor compared to those mentioned.
Cliff K7RR