DSP-2232 Help

Greeting's!  Sorry if this is off topic , but this five
thumbed tech has come to the end of the road with this
TNC.  I have a DSP-2232 AEA TNC and have a problem with
the receive when I am not connected.  I can not see any
beacons or packets on the screen. When connected to a
local node or BBS there is no problem.  I am using the
following:

-> TNC Firmware Version 7.0 ( 01 Dec 93 )
   Advanced Electronics Applications, INC.
-> PcPakratt 2.1 For Windows
-> Windows XP

So if you by chance have a DSP-2232 and have any idea
what I am doing wrong or what setting I have missed.
Please let me know, any information would be appreciated.
73's
Gary D Jones KB0OFD EM36kq
Packet Address:
KB0OFD@KB0OFD.#SWMO.MO.USA.NA