AO-51 PBP modulation scheme

Hello,

   I am interested in interacting with the AO-51 PACSAT, but I can't
really afford the PACComm Spirit-2 and was looking at the various
types of homebuilt modems, like the Alef Null DSP modem, and the YAM
FPGA based modem.

   However, I have read that while these are "packet radio modems",
they are not satisfactory for satellite work.  I was assuming the
reason for this is they don't support the type of modulation used by
AO-51 PACSAT.

   I don't really understand why they wouldn't be useable, and am
wondering if anyone has some suggestions for homebuilt modem/TNCs that
would be useable for AO-51 PACSAT.

thanks,
-andrew