Re: SSETI Express update

And it looks pretty, too ;

Look at Picture # 195 here:
http://sseti.gte.tuwien.ac.at/WSW4/express5.php

Graham, it is so much fun to watch and read about the progress of this bird.  Thanks to you for keeping us updated and informed!!

I can't wait to hear it on S-band.  Are you able to make any estimates on signal strength, relative to AO-51 for example?

I'm wondering if a G3RUH patch antenna will be sufficient for 38k4 telemetry reception :)

73,

Mark N8MH

> From: "Graham Shirville" <g.shirville@btinternet.com>
> Date: 2005/03/08 Tue AM 07:30:47 EST
> To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] SSETI Express update
>
> The AMSAT-UK  SSETI Express team are delighted to announce that the S band
> transmitter unit has now been "accepted as flight-ready" by ESA at their
> ESTEC facility in the Netherlands. It is the first sub-system to achieve
> this!
>
> The S band transmitter is intended to provide the project with a 38k4
> downlink for telemetry and camera data and also become part of the planned
> single channel U/S voice FM transponder which is expected to be activated
> within a couple of months of launch.
>
> The transmitter, which incorporates its own power supply, TNC and
> telemetry/telecommand circuits is built into a robust box which has been
> provided by the students at the University of Wroklaw in Poland. It has
> weighed in at just under 1.5 kilogrammes. The satellite is expected to have
> a mass of a little over 50 kilogrammes when completed and when the nitrogen
> tanks have been charged.
>
> Unfortunately due to technical problems not associated with SSETI Express
> satellite, a launch date has not yet been confirmed - late summer 2005 is
> the best current estimate.
>
> Meanwhile a wonderful record of the project is available at www.sseti.net -
> click on express. The site has a live webcam showing the satellite under
> construction in the cleanroom, there is a large collection of integration
> photographs and the download section has the first voice call made through
> the transponder late last year. There is also the current fully detailed
> "integration logbook" available for download - it is a large file but makes
> a very good read for satellite enthusiasts. I am sure that it is the first
> time that the details of this process have been made publicly available!
>
> best 73
>
> Graham Shirville G3VZV

Mark L. Hammond    [N8MH]