Re: Mode L/S

On Monday 07 March 2005 17:43, you wrote:
> I just put up a 36" dish with a W0LMD dual band patch feed for L/S.  It has an
> K5GNA AIDC downconverter.  My 910 has the 1.2 ghz module and it has been
> tested to have about 10 to 12 watts of output power.  Unfortunately, the cable
> I am currently using is 125 ft. long piece of 9913.  I figure I *might* get 2
> watts to the patch.
>
> I know that there are issues with the 1.2ghz overloading the front end of the
> 2.4ghz downconverter and that there are filters that can be bought or made to
> help the problem.  My question is:  Are the overload problems so bad with a
> patch that I may damage the downconverter or is it just a nuisance to the
> operator?
>
> Karl R. Sandstrom, K5MAN
> AMSAT Area Coordinator
> W5YI Volunteer Examiner
> Greenwell Springs, Louisiana
> k5man@arrl.net / k5man@amsat.org

Hi Karl,
  too many variables, purity of the rig,amount of coupling etc...
the only way you will know is by starting at minimum power and slowly
coming up and see how it goes...

with my 910 with a L/S patch it was barely noticeable
even with a DL2AM amp of 80 watts (40w at the dish)

this was with a old DB6NT downconverter, using one of the newer
DC's with a filter in the front end to notch 1.2 I had no problems at all...

start low and work up on it

73
Kevin
WA6FWF #19623