Re: Rotor pot

John, maybe I can help at least to the point where you can get started.  First
I really hope you marked the position of the gears and pot while disassembling
the 5400!  If not, then you have a bit more work to do.  First the pot is a
500 ohm unit.  The replacement part for Yaesue/Vertex is Q9000408.  The cost
is $30 US and is worth less than half that but about what the customer will
tolerate.  If you are repairing only the Azimuth rotor recovering is not all
that difficult.  IE:  You must position the pot such that North shows 250
ohms between A1 and A2 as well as 250 ohms between A2 and A3 for a total of
500 ohms.  Normally this is not hard for the Azimuth rotor but rather difficult
for the Elevation rotor, so let start with simplicity first.
       There are mechanical stops which bind the rotor from moving further.  You
must find these and observe how they operate.  If your lucky and the
5400 is not
one of the "better" models, there will be limit switches removing
power from the
motor.  Find these and appreciate how they operate!  Not hard, as
common sense is
the watchword.  That is most uncommon in the present computer
generation!  Let's
go this far and proceed further.  73  Cliff K7RR