Fw: TX Problem IC970A 2.4 GHZ module (forward from ICOM group)

Nick;
W7FG Vintage Manuals has reprints of the UX98 and UX97 schematics. Unfortunately no theory.

The UX98 is a 1 watt unit. Be sure the wattmeter is accurate to 2.4 GHz at low power levels.
There should be a blue "plastic" heat spreader between the module body and the rear heatsink of the radio, likewise about 4 mounting screws drawing the heatsink, blue spreader and module together. I am not sure the duty cycle of the UX98. 2 to five minutes might be a bit severe.

This being said, although there is a forward power sensor, there does not appear to be a reverse power or thermal sensor so the ALC re-action is a bit unusual and may indicate a problem elswhere in the module.

My primary UX98 was a bit sluggish to come up to power first time used after being out of service when I first bought it. I suspect the T/R relay contacts had some tarnish.

My UX97 module had a difficult to trace intermittent which I found was a regulator pass transistor on the casting having a cold solder joint. I found this by visual inspection.

Th UX98 output transistors are FET's which I believe are made by Mitsubishi. There are power control, bias and several jumpers on the board. The manual gives no advice on adjustment. I would consult with the device manufacturer before "tweaking" or damage might occur. You might check the AMSAT-BB about this module and the devices in the PA. I beleive the final devices have "flown" on an AMSAT satellite. So somebody may be familiar with them.

Someone mentioned touching the components and looking for hot spots. A CCD camcorder with the IR filter removed might give you a fast indication of the hot spot.

Because the unit takes a long time to recover, I suspect the problem area has a lot of thermal mass, so check the regulator transistors as well as the PA.

Please have your friend keep me and the AMSAT-BB posted on his findings as there is little in the way of a support knowledge base for this rare and valuable equipment.

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
The RFI-EMI-GUY

Message: 1