Re: First Baby steps

Dear Paul,

Some months ago I was in your position and I made some choices :
Like you I am (now) interested in V/UHF on all modes and,
I wanted to be able to work with small, outdoor equipment.
I am mostly interested in listening ... at this time ...

I then choose the Kenwood TH-F7 hand-held tranceiver (about 300 Euro) and, based on the advice of a friend, build (at zero costs) a Quadrifilar Helical Antenna for UHF reception (designed for 436.5 MHz).

I am now able and very delighted to listen to AO-51 :-)
In the near future I will try (to listen) other satellites, and especially their telemetry ...

Hope it helped you,
Good luck !

73 de Iw2nmb, Florio
iw2nmb@amsat.org

Paul Lane KC9EYE <kc9eye@dopplerexpress.net> wrote:
Hello All,
I have not communicated through a satellite as yet, but I was wondering if
you fine people could answer a few of my questions. I am looking to start
communicating on the satellites. From reading various articles and papers on
the subject, I have found that most agree that full duplex operation is not
only the best way to go, but sometimes the only way to go. So, with this
being said I am interested in obtaining a station receiver, with the
capability of receiving signals from the sats. Namely the ability to receive
signals in the vhf/uhf range in various modes (ssb,cw,fm,am). I am sure that
you know what I'm talking about. I recently read an article in QST by Rick
Rogers (An Economical Satellite Staion), and was interested in what you
thought of his choice in station receiver. I beleive it was an Icom
PCR-1000. I think this is a computer defined radio. I was wondering if
anyone had ideas about a stand alone receiver. Thanks for your patience, as
I have not been a ham for a long time, I am not to keen on the available
radios and their pros and cons. I would like to start small and gradually
build this station. I think just listening to the sats for a time on the
receiver would benifit my eventually operating through them.
Thanks

P. Lane
KC9EYE
Indiana, USA