Re: First Baby steps

P. Lane  wrote:
> ... and was interested in what you
> thought of his choice in station receiver. I believe it was an Icom
> PCR-1000. I think this is a computer defined radio.

I'll let others respond to your other questions.
I have a PCR-1000 that I used primarily for the 2.4 GHz downlink along
with a TranSys downconverter.  The PCR-1000 is a box about the size of a
paperback book and has only a power switch on the front and antenna,
power, serial data, and external speaker jacks on the back.  There is no
way to control it without a computer.  It works quite well.  I found
that I do not like having no VFO, but it was not too bad.  Overall, I am
very happy with the receiver.  I have used it for a few other things,
but primarily it was the AO-40 receiver.

--
73