Re: AO-51

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Becker"
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 11:06 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] AO-51

> I have been trying to get into this satellite for weeks now.
> Due to buildings and trees to my east that makes it hard.
> On the western U. S. passes I hear the same calls
> (breakfast club) pass after pass. Guess it's time to get
> the ol 1.5 Kw out.

Hi John,

Don't worry - you'll be able to work this bird!

I tried unsuccessfully to work AO-51 several times in similar circumstances.
I first tried using a 5 watt HT for the uplink
into my homemade XE1MEX Arrow-type yagi,  but I never made the bird, seems I
just couldn't capture the receiver. I'd been working AO-27 and SO-50 with
this setup, but AO-51 did present a challenge for me.

I thought I'd try a different uplink rig, and had success with AO-51 using
25w out from my Icom 207h mobile rig.. I'm all for QRP on the birds, but
AO-51 can be a little tough to work in my experience, and more power seems
to help a lot.

I have since worked AO-51 with the 5 watt HT, and I look forward to the QRP
mode, which requires no PL tone. Seems to be a lot easier to work the bird
when the tone is not an issue..

When the temperature starts to go up, I plan to be out again working the
birds.

73 and GL,

Kyle Yoksh
K0KN