RE: Blackfin and Linux (was EVM56K and Linux)

All,

This is just a suggestion, but you could consider updating your DSP platform
to a Blackfin (from Analog Devices) based platform.  The link below takes
you to where you can download a complete Linux tool chain for free,
including uCLinux (if you wanted to run that as an OS for the Blackfin).

http://blackfin.uclinux.org/

There are also several low cost eval boards available from ADI that include
high performance audio interfaces (24 bit delta-sigma, 96 kHz Fs), video
in/out (implement audio in/video out or vice versa), 10/100 Ethernet I/O,
etc.

The Blackfin runs up to 600 MHz (there is even a dual core version for SMP
applications), so SDR applications can be readily implemented.  There are
even specialized instructions to accelerate Viterbi decoding and
implementing LFSR's (for calculating CRC's or implementing PRN generators).
(sorry for all the acronyms, but those working in this area should
appreciate the capabilities).  For more info on the Blackfin and available
eval boards, see the link below.

http://www.analog.com/processors/processors/blackfin/

Cheers,

George VE3LQN