Re: DirectTV Dish and 1.2 Patch

Angelo,
The small dish will not be efficient at 1.2 GHz, but it will work just fine with a patch feed for AO-51 and just a few Watts--if you have a rotor to put it on, and preferably with automatic tracking capability.  If you are planning to point it manually for AO-51, however, I suggest you use something with a lot less gain and something easier to handle, like a 1/4 wl vertical if you have 10 Watts or a 3-el beam if you have only a Watt or two of power.

BTW, you did not say if you were also looking for 2.4 GHz on the same dish, but that is easy to accomplish with a dual patch or dual helices.  I used an 18" DirectTV dish with 10 W on AO-40 and made contacts at apogee (> 50,000 km).
73,
Jerry, VK8OE

H Folks,

  I am looking for some advise when it come to a 1.2G antenna. I have a
  extra DirectTV dish

  around the house and was wondering how good this type of dish would
  work for an uplink for AO-51 with a 1.2 G Patch???

   I am a newbie when it come to dish construction and patch
  construction and what would work good with a 1.2 G Patch. Is this
dish
  to smaill???

  73 de Angelo