Re: re: FO-29

Hi everyone,

good to hear from you again Tony.  I'll have to get an echo-link node
fired up here in fairbanks so I can talk at ya again.

I found the reason i've been having so much trouble working the LEO
birds lately.  I pulled my diplexer out of the arrows boom and saw a
nice blackened component on the board.  I must have put 50 watts to it
by mistake once when I was working with the FT897.

I've checked around arrows site and while they do offer a schematic of
the diplexer (they call it a duplexer) but there are no component
values listed.  I'm also not too hot on the symbols but I suspect it's
a made from a couple of capacitors and inductors.  I've pulled the
smoked ?inductor? and all the capacitors from the board.  I pulled out
my meter and checked all the capacitors but none of the read anything
so I'm assuming i've blown all of them into the open state.  The
?inductor? reads 1.5 ohms but I'm not sure how you go about measuring
inductors.

Can anyone tell me what the values for the capacitors should be and how
to check an inductor?

Cheers to everyone for all their help,
Justin

On Feb 15, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Robert Coppock wrote:

> hi Tony,  thank you. hope the weather and flying are great in .au (you
> in australia ? we need HEOs !)
> hi Justin,  i caught another RECV only pass of FO-29 this a/m.  i did
> hear the CWbeacon and 1 qso and 1 cq caller.....logged on dxworld.
> from what little experience i have, i would say using the 100 Hz
> tuning step seems to work well for finding signals, then fine tune
> from there. (my f6a wont go to 10 Hz as the ft897 does). i hope you
> have or will make some contacts on FO-29 soon. i need to get back on
> the LEOs, but am working on the thd7a lately.
> thank you to all who checked in on this. all the HEO and L/S band and
> 9k6/38k4 gear really kicks up my interest in learning this. i think
> satellites are about to come of age, like VLSI chips and WWW. it is a
> lot of fun to be at the beginning part of outer space.
> everyone have fun+take care,,,,,
> robert kg6pib-7 cm97 amsat# 35488
> author.

Justin KL1RL