Re: How to redistribute Keps (was:PDA Software

Alain De Carolis wrote:

>>Re: the purpose of this law, I can only speculate that it is a US
>>Government reaction to the 9/11/2001 attacks on the U.S. I suppose they
>>don't want terrorists taking out their military sats.
>>

>I see you point.
>Now terrorists interested in keps have to click "YES" after reading a useless
>agreement before they can download.
>At the same time, automatic distribution of keplerian elements for honest
>amateur radio operators and scientists worldwide is not possible anymore.

It has nothing to do with terrorism.

As I read the law http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/Section913.pdf it
is an attempt by Congress to set up a program for the U.S. Government to
make money by selling data that it used to give away free or not share
at all.   The Secretary of Defense has the authority to permit you to
redistribute the data.  It seems likely (to me) that a few letters to
the right place will result in a policy that will allow redistribution
of data that they do not charge for, such as Keplerian elements.

I note, though that the law does not include individuals of any sort
among those eligible to receive the data.  Only various government
entities and "commercial entities" may receive the data, so they may be
violating the stupid (poorly written, at least) law by attempting to be
nice to us.

>>You may want to see if other space agencies or corporations publish
>>TLE's for their space hardware.
>>

>You may want to see if any other space agency has got tracking hardware placed
>all aroung the globe.
>
>I'm sorry but I think that this law doesnt make the USA a safer place.
>I think that this law is just ridiculous.

Instead of making assumptions, read the law (or any of several
explanations found on various sites) and find out what is really going
on.  Stop thinking this has anything to do with terrorism.  It is a test
to see if they can make money selling satellite data.

- Bob Johnson
  WB4JCM