Re: Portable S band downconverter?

Here was my weekend fun:

http://webpages.charter.net/mlhammond/ao51/N8MH_VS_portable.jpg

I was messing around with what I had "handy" (pun intended!) for a portable mode V/S station.  That's a Kenwood TH-F6 for receive (at 123.200 MHz) and an old Alinco 2M HT for transmit.

I didn't hear the bird with this setup...make have to redo the helix.  I think it's the tree issue more than anything...

I built a small coax power feed (a cap and an inductor) and wrapped it in tape and heat shrink.  It is a pretty simple and effective way to get power to the downconverter.  No leads to break this way!  It is easier to build up the power tap than it would be to bring out the power leads through the case.

Anyhow, in theory it won't take much of a station to work this mode.  I'm all for running it in V/S mode for another week sometime down the road!

73,

Mark N8MH