Re: Portable S band downconverter?

John,

Both Downeast Microwave and Kuhne Engineering (sold by SSB Electronics in
the USA) offer 2.4 GHz downconverters.  They do not need to be powered thru
the coax and run on 12-vdc (perhaps will work with 9-vdc).  I'm not sure
why you desire a 70cm IF (desense is not an issue on s-band, but perhaps
you meant IF leakage) but both companies can accomodate you.

I assume you mean to use a waveguide horn antenna.  At 2.4 GHz that is very
large approx. 3.5 x 1.75 inches square and min 4-inches long.  A small yagi
or helical beam is probably more practical for a hand-held antenna.  The
Wi-Fi industry makes small helix beams that you could use.

73's Ed - AL7EB
www.qsl.net/al7eb