AO-51 Mode V/S over Eastern US 16:15 UTC

Holy guacamole!

After hearing Drew KO4MA say "5 watts into a rubber duckie", I snagged my HT and turned it on.

I was able to get into the bird with 5 watts from my basement using a TH-F6 with stock rubber duck!  (the basement does have windows...)

Guess I'm glad I was programming in the frequencies last night, as the HT was ready to xmit.

I did try 2 passes in the last 2 days using a Transystem downconverter (modified by me, not nearly as good as a K5GNA unit these days) and a 3.5 turn LHCP helix (homebrew dish feed) and a battery.  I was able to hear some calls, but it wasn't quite workable.  I need to tweak things a bit and get out of the trees!

Anyhow, all of this has sparked my interest in portable satellite ops :)

Thanks to the command team for running the bird in a variety of modes, and for keeping the bird healthy!

73,

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]