AO-51 Mode V/S over West Malaysia

Hi All,

I have just managed to try out AO-51 Mode V/S for the first time during last
night's and this morning's pass (11/02/05, 1438Z and 12/02/05 0300Z
respectively) over West Malaysia.  Signal was reasonable, with some deep
fades from time to time.  However without the use of the PL tone on the
uplink, the QRM from illegal stations was very bad, and I need at least 50
Watts of power on the uplink to override the QRM.  It is the same here on
145.920 as well as 145.880 when using during AO-51's QRP experimental days.

The V/S setup used was an FT-847 and a 3-element homebrew yagi for the 2M
uplink, 15 turn helix, UEK-3000 Downconverter to 144 MHz and ICOM IC-R7000
for the 2.4 GHz S-Band Downlink.

Over all, Mode V/S sounded great except for some deep fading and the QRM.

73,
Sion Chow Q. C.,
9W2QC (OJ03TB)