Re: PL tone on AO51 V/S

Hi Piero.

The problem with the PL tone on mode VS is that in the presence of QRM the
transmitter would be off for a high proportion of the time.
Given the amount of doppler on the S Band downlink and the narrow beamwidth
of some antennas, I can forsee the situation where you simply can't find your
own signal. You wouldn't be confident of the transmitter being on, your RX
frequency or antenna direction.
I realise that does not apply to auto tracking and auto doppler correction,
but most people don't have that. At least the QRM tells you you are pointing
in  the right direction. If you don't make a QSO, you have gained experience in
 following an S band signal and are more likely to have another go on the
next  pass.

Now......If the uplink was on a QRM free channel...........wouldn't that be
good!

73

David   G0MRF