From: Graham Shirville Sent: Feb 10, 2005 7:29 AM
To: Andrew Glasbrenner
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AO-51 V/S fun portable/mobile

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations - it is great fun working satellites with this sort of
equipment.

Your S band receive antenna shud be circular polarised to allow for the
rotation of the spacecraft's linear TX antenna. It wont matter whether it is
LHCP or RHCP tho.

Even a plain patch antenna will receive AO51 on S band at workable levels
and you don't need much in the way of antenna pointing - just three
positions during the pass. Towards it at say 45 deg of elevation on
approach. Overhead when it approaches overhead and then 45 deg again when it
is going away from you.

There will still be some  fading but it should be better than any linear
antenna.

73

Graham G3VZV