Re: Useless CubeSats

Hi AMSATs,

I think CUBESATS can be interresting for some small scientific experiments.
The way they are now presented is in my view not a right picture.

They are presented as a learning basis for young students to learn how to
build a satellite.
I don't know how a 10cmx10cmx10cm cubic construction can ever help to
understand how to build a real satellite of several meters in diameter.

Its like giving a truck-mechanic-student a small truck model to learn how to
repair a truck engine.

Like I mentioned a while ago, it would be much better when these students
work together on a real big (international) satellite. When this satellite
would also give something that can be usefull for universities or ham radio
it would be interresting...

SSETI is a good example of such cooperation between European universities.

A better use for the CUBEs would be on a high-altitude balloon.
The boxes are small and light, and ideal for such missions.
These missions are less expensive and are 100x more educative because after
the box returns down, the student can inspect what has happened to the
electronics.
You can only learn when you know what you have done wrong, and when you can
change it and try again.

73 de PE1RAH,
William
---