Re: Useless CubeSats

On 6 Feb 2005 at 12:29, Matt Bennett wrote:

> I must say, I resent the fact that such scrutiny was posted on the bulletin board instead of useful ideas and technical information.

I repect your opinion about cubes sats proliferation as i could also
questionned myself about your scrutiny trying to justify them.

When you say "useful ideas and technical information." i asked you to
evaluate the following recent post with as much srutiny as you seems
to detect on those who are telling the crowd...please! at least one
HEO for god sake...

Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a refund from the IRS, which lasts
until
you realize it was your money to start with.
From: "Kevin Smith" <kevin.j.smith@comcast.net>

Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows
little sign of breaking down in the near future.

73, Mike kf4fdj

Alfred Hitchcooking:  The stabbing of frozen vegetables while heating
them for table consumption.

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO

Guys: Keep these comming -- their Great !!!

TIM
----

If you seems threatened by others opinions to a point to say " I
suggest devoting more time to helping AMSAT design and the funding of
P3D than scrutinizing the work of student engineers.  " i suggest you
to read over the "famous" AMSAT survey" where and by a vast majority
HEO sats are whats the memberships wants...

I refer you to the following list and i asked you if we can combined
all the ressources involved in the construction, planning. launching
of the cubes sats, can we build an HEO who can have all the goodies
theses individual cubes support?

Theses students engeeneers can have acces to many ressources under an
 AMSAT joint venture and this can effectively have a greather impact
knowing some of theses programs will used amateur frequencies without
any AMSAT involvement? Another missed one here again? or a lack of
vision?  A bad habit 'conducting business as they where conducted in
the seventies!

Here is the list

 1 Feb-05    VUSat          PSLV
 2 Mar-05     CubeSats *1    Dnepr 1
 3 May-05     SSETI Express  Cosmos 3M
 4 May 12-05  PCSat2 *2      Space Shuttle Discovery STS-114
 5 Aug-05     SuitSat        ISS EVA
 5 Sep-05     P3E            Ariane 5
 7 ICEcube 1    Cornell University (U.S.)
 8. ION          University of Illinois (U.S.)
 9. Rincon 1     University of Arizona in Tucson (U.S.)
 10 ??           The Aerospace Corporation (U.S.)
 11 PolySat 1    Cal Poly Aerospace Engineering (U.S.)
 12 SEEDS        Nihon University (Japan)
 13 Ncube        Norsk Romsenter (Norway)
 14 HAUSat 1     Hankuk Aviation University (South Korea)
 15 Merope       Montana State University (U.S.)
16 PolySat 2    Cal Poly Aerospace Engineering (U.S.)
17. KUTESat      Kansas University (U.S.)
18. Sacred       University of Arizona in Tucson (U.S.)
19. Mea Huaka'I  University of Hawaii (U.S.)
20. ICEcube 2    Cornell University (U.S.)

I think you understand that ultimatly the frequencies request
flooding can have a detrimental impact on us. And filling the space
with more and more cubes satellites can have also the same effect.

"If the IARU believed that the requesting organization was not
submitting a project that was in the best interest of amateur radio,
they wouldn't authorize it! After all, the IARU Constitution
explicitly states:"...

To concluded,  it is not a question of questionning the works of
anyone but to ask for  a transponder COMMUNICATION HEO satellite.. AO-
40 and AO-10 show us that's whats is needed by the worldwide amateur
satellite operators majority. We also understand the "minority"
desires to work on a chalennging satellite project and an "old"
techonology analog communication satellite is not what they are
interrested in...

Unfortunatly many of theses "tecckies" are the ones who also builds
the amateur satellites...a no win situation...

Yes many of us are presently effectively supporting AMSAT-DL P3E
project. It is not a lack of support to AMSAT-NA but a logical course
of action as they are the most completed project with the shortest
launch time span.

A press release will come soon regarding this. Stay tuned!

"-"
Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT Quebec coordonnator
AMSAT 33583