RE: About Trakbox

William,

I too have been interested in the Trakbox and have downloaded a PDF file or
two describing the original system.

I have for some months now been thinking of creating my own variation on the
theme, based on a PIC 18F micro, with the ability to drive my Yaseu rotator
and Doppler-tune my Kenwood radio.

However, its little more than an idea and some outline code modules running
in the PIC simulator. Clearly, even if I complete this project, it will be
some time yet.

In my view, driving the rotator and the radio tune is easy. The harder part
is the orbital model for the sats position.

There is some code around for the two "real" models for low-orbit and
high-orbit sats (SGP4/SDP4), and a simpler one called Plan-13. Given that
Fortran and C source is kicking around for these, I have good hope that I
can port some of that and pour it into the C compiler for the PIC 18 micro I
intend to use.

I'm expecting that a single PIC micro, 1 MAX232 converter chip, and a
realtime clock chip is about all the hardware it will need. And a small 16x2
line LCD display, and 2 or 4 buttons etc. Nothing hard there.

The point of this email is really just to support your view of a need for
such a device, and to maybe encourage others that might need only a little
nudge to build one too (or instead).

We really only need one or two such things, and the rest of us can just
buy/build the one that's first out.

Regards,
Jim Towler
Wellington