Re: Useless CubeSats

I must say, I resent the fact that such scrutiny was posted on the bulletin board instead of useful ideas and technical information.

First of all, I have been working on UCISAT-1 for three months now. I have dedicated countless hours of research and labor to constructing a working ground station and a comm system capable of broadcasting in the amateur satellite bands, and have been advocating the ability for amateur reception of the research images we are working to collect. I do not appreciate these efforts being referred to as "a waste of money and resources," especially since the project DOES involve amateur radio. If the abilities of these cubesats do not meet your needs, than I suggest devoting more time to helping AMSAT design and the funding of P3D than scrutinizing the work of student engineers.

> As you can see looking at the List of Satellites Projects for wich
> frequencies have ben coordinated by IARU there are actually about 25
> Universities building these boxes only for their experiments but not for
> hams instead they are using the amateur frequency allocation without
> involving the amateur community with amateur radio communication
> capabilities comparable to that available beginning from OSCAR-6
> to AO40

The last time I checked the formal status list, the number of cubesats awaiting approval was FIVE, not TWENTY-FIVE --> (http://www.amsat.org.uk/iaru/formal.asp). May I also point out that these are REQUESTS, not guaranteed allocations. If the IARU believed that the requesting organization was not submitting a project that was in the best interest of amateur radio, they wouldn't authorize it! After all, the IARU Constitution explicitly states:

"Its objectives shall be the protection, promotion, and advancement of the Amateur and Amateur-Satellite Services within the framework of regulations established by the International Telecommunication Union...with special reference to:
a) representation of the interests of amateur radio...
c) enhancement of amateur radio as a means of technical self-training for young people;
d) promotion of technical and scientific investigations in the field of radiocommunication;"

That means that EVERY SINGLE SATELLITE on that list fits the mold for an allocation request, including UCISAT-1 (which will be added to the list shortly).

> At least I believe that AMSAT-DL is working hard to get P3-E finished and
> launched soon, but I think that the mass flood of these Cubesat and other
> Nanosat makes it indeed more difficult just in direct proportion of funds
> and man power dilution.

Dave: >>I think the complete opposite - but let's see what happens. I'll bet you $1 that
>>I'll be right within 10 years. I eagerly await my buck...

I must agree with Dave on this one. The addition of satellites capable of modes and abilities beyond the mic and key adds enormous potential to the satellite community. Not only will it attract more engineers and operators to develop new satellites and new modes, but will attract new amateurs worldwide to the cutting edge technology that will be available to them. My work with UCISAT this past month alone has already influenced two new operators to get their licenses.

For the record, the ability to design, build, and launch a satellite is an unbelievable experience and privelege, and I applaud those at AMSAT and IARU who work so hard to make these launches possible.

As for your inquiry, Dave, you can chalk one up for UCISAT-1.

See you on the sats,

Matt Bennett
KF6RTB
UCISAT Communications Team Member