R: SkyCross 2.4 ghz antenna?

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Guimont <dguimon1@san.rr.com>
To: Greg D. <ko6th_greg@hotmail.com>
Cc: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 10:51 PM
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] SkyCross 2.4 ghz antenna?

> Hope the German bird comes along soon so I can get back to experimenting.
>
> This satellite withdrawal is horrible!!!
>
>             73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
>                     Disagree: I learn....

Hi Dave, WB6LLO

My hope is indeed to have P3-E launched at the end of 2005, but as far I
know it may be also early 2006 because P3-E will fly on a new type of
ARIANE-5 launcher but the last test failed and the next one will be made
in february this year.

In my opinion the German bird also need more support from the community but
unfortunately there is now a huge trend to build more and more of  LEO boxes
to fly around earth using the Amateur Satellite frequency allocation and I
would not call them satellites, because just a box with some solar panels
does not make a real satellite for communications and to my opinion  even
the old OSCAR-7 is actually much better for communications than a single
channel FM transponder because yesterday I got a nice and long SSB QSO
via OSCAR-7 with SP4JCR, OE3WAN and S57LM

As we see, most of these boxes like Cubesat and Nanosat are almost useless,
in particular for the ham satellite community and they are a waste of money
and resourches. It's more like a prestige object for many Universities.

As you can see looking at the List of Satellites Projects for wich
frequencies have been coordinated by IARU there are actually about 25
Universities building these boxes only for their experiments but not for
hams instead they are using the amateur frequency allocation without
involving the amateur community with amateur radio communication
capabilities comparable to that available beginning  from OSCAR-6
to AO40

What kind of science is it, to buy a FM ham radio hand held and modify it
for use on a box if  actually we dont have a satellite available to
communicate worldwide as we did using all modes with OSCAR-10, 13 and
AO40 ?

As you realize the weels are re-invented again and again but for us
satellite users this is someting we did almost 30 years ago ! ! ! This is
history and nothing like science anymore.

Instead it would be better to help to build quickly a HEO satellite like
P3-E carriing the easy as well the advanced communications capabilities but
unfortunately very fews seams to be interested on a "Satellite for all" .

At least I believe that AMSAT-DL is working hard to get P3-E finished and
launched soon, but I think that the mass flood of these Cubesat and other
Nanosat makes it indeed more difficult just in direct proportion of funds
and man power dilution.

Best 73 de

i8CVS Domenico