Re: NOVA bug in version 2.2a????

Cliff Buttschardt wrote:

>I'm really dislike having to write this sort of note, but I DESPERATELY
>need some sort of tracking/doppler program that I can recommend to the
>CUBESAT community.  I've spent more time trying to get "simple" computer
>programs going than developing hardware.  I give up!!!  Is there ANYONE
>in the AMSAT community than can wire decent, windows program without
>computer knowledge SPECIFICALLY for satellite use?  If you do not understand
>the frustration of this note, you have not tried NOVA or WISP!!
>     Oh by the way---I do not care to engage in and endless debate by those
>that peer at a screen 24 hours a day.  Performance is primary!!  Cliff K7RR

I dislike the answer that comes to mind from long computer use and
training experience, but here goes...

I think the user interface you're looking for is built in to satellite
telephones.  They're simple to use.  Dial a number, talk to someone.
The interface mimics a standard cell phone, even though a sat phone is a
completely different beast.  They cost a lot of money.

Seriously... they want to work amateur sats but they can't drive a
Windows app?  Come on...

The economics just aren't there for "great software" in hobby
applications -- virtually NO hobbiest software meets commercial
standards, and never will.  The one major exception is the constant
improvement shown by fully open-source software because when one guy
writing burns out, someone else can choose to take his/her place.

I'm all for cheering on great software that's simple to use and
efficient, and love to see it when it happens, but the reality is that
great closed-source software is like great art - there's a lot more bad
stuff than good stuff and even after good stuff arrives, it takes a
while to build momentum amongst those that play with new things and
adopt early before people realize it exists and start using it.  Great
open-source software takes time, but eventually arrives if the initial
foundation is relatively good and your user base includes a large number
of programmers.

To elaborate on your real question (and be a bit less harsh...), there
are probably 1 in 10 people in AMSAT that *believe* they can write great
software, and maybe 1 in 10 of those people who truly can.  You're going
to be waiting a while.

Time spent on educating your users to simply use and understand their
computers and finding ways to motivate them to do so  might be the most
effective solution.  And maybe one of them will get hooked and become
that long-shot programmer.  If you even feel responsible to do so...

If you do, don't "give up".  Re-evaluate your tactical situation and act
accordingly.  ;-)

But remember, it's not your problem if they don't know how to use things
they purchased unless they purchased it from you.  (This is one of the
hardest lessons any of us with a bent toward helping others has to
learn.)  If they're motivated enough they'll figure it out.  If they're
not... how's that your problem?

We all have our motivations on why we help other people with things --
but you do have to know when to "cut bait" and go fish somewhere else.

Make them a list of things they need to understand to do the task and
let them decide if they're willing to put in the effort, if you really
want to help them.  The list should include whatever tailored list for
their skill level they need to learn like learning to drive Windows apps.

Nate WY0X