Re: Question on Yaesu 847

 James KI0KN wrote:

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Yaesu FT847 still
has the restriction of locking out the freq control (and most other
functions) while in CAT control mode?  I have always hated not being
able to "tweak" the freq with the knob on the 736 while it was
under computer tuning.  Thanks !!

Wayne W9AE replies:

Your experience with the FT-736 was due to a limitation of the FT-736 CAT system which only allows the computer to write the VFO frequencies.  The computer-controlled Doppler tuning will "fight" you because the 736 CAT system doesn't have "read VFO" commands.  Consequently, the Doppler tuning software is incapable of knowing if/when you are manually tuning a FT-736.

The FT-847 CAT system does support "read VFO" commands.  Consequently, good Doppler tuning software allows you to tune the radio manually.  The software temporarily suspends Dopper tuning when it detects that you are manually tuning.  Then it resumes Doppler tuning at the new frequencies after you stop manually tuning.  This is how InstantTune, SatPC32, and W6IHG Radio Tuner work with the FT-847.  I haven't tested it, but I suspect that UniTRAC also lets you manually tune the FT-847 while Doppler tuning is enabled.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA