Re: Lifetime of Azimuth/elevation setups in winter.

Pat,

   It is interesting how all of us "had no problems, but".  I had an AZ/EL
system up in South Dakota for four years and had no problems, but I did have
to replace the pot in the AZ rotor one time ;-).  I had a Yaesu 5400 rotor
setup with 11x11 elements on 2 meters, 8x8 elements on 70 cm and a BBQ Grill
dish for S Band.  The system was tested from -35 to 110 degrees.  I used a
steel cross boom and believe it twice kept me from collapse due to ice and
wind.  The only winter performance problem I ever had was fog freezing and
forming a thick frost (over 1" thick).  The frost would detune the 435 MHz
antenna something fierce!  Just put some time and thought in the project and
make it as stout as you can.  One last piece of advice, the 9913 coaxes are
prone to taking in moisture, wild temperature swings can make it even
tougher to seal up.  I recommend going with LMR 400UF or a similar coax.

73, and Good Luck,
Joe

P.S. I'm back in SD and will be doing this all again myself soon!