Re: ao-51 tonight

I really look forward to Experimenter's Night, regardless of the mode!  It's a chance to try something different, once a week, on schedule.

I'm not sure I'll brave it outdoors and try the HT thing this time---but, I'm thinking about doing my own experiment---

Now, don't condemn me until you've read the whole thing :)

I thinking about using my exisiting station with the following changes---use my Radio Shack discone antenna with output reduced to 10 W on the TS-2000!  That will allow me to use my station for "good ears" (tracking array on 435 with preamp), while still qualifying as a QRP station.

I know from working local repeaters that the discone is a lousey antenna, but to work AO-51 on it with 10W would be a real kick!  Hope I can make one exchange...

Now if only Real Life will allow me to catch the pass!

As for cost of that setup?  I really don't want to add it all up, but it's close to 1.5-2 orders of magnitude ;-)

73,

Mark N8MH

> From: "Kyle Yoksh" <yokshs@planetkc.com>
> Date: 2005/02/01 Tue PM 02:28:18 EST
> To: "Amsat-bb" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] ao-51 tonight
>
> Hi to all on the list..
>
> I'm looking forward to the AO-51 QRP mode tonight. It will be fun working
> AO-51 without the (expletive) PL tone! hi hi
>
> I'll be using my HTs and XE1MEX Arrow antenna A.K.A " the $80 FM bird
> groundstation ".
>
> It might be fun to know if anyone has a less expensive setup than this.
> Uplink rig is a Radio Shack HTX-202 and downlink rig a HTX-404. Bought the
> HTs on Ebay for $40 apiece, made the antenna from scrap aluminum tubing. Who
> says that building a groundstation is expensive? :-)
>
> Just 12 more grids until VUCC, and I'll be trying to collect some new ones
> tonight!
>
> Looks like two passes are workable for me, the best starting at 354z.
>

> 73, all the best and GL tonight!
>
> Kyle Yoksh
> K0KN
> Olathe, Kansas