RE: remote acces via router

Quickest, free way to transverse firewalls is here:

https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home

This firewall transversal on both ends - no configuration of routers or
firewall ports, no DMZ, etc.  It's web based using your already open port
80.

He alternative is VPN and some form of freeware VNC, RealVNC etc.  Other
folks have 30 day demos of similar solutions http://www.kaseya.com/

To avoid opening ports you have to go the route of a "Man-In-The-Middle"
solution which the above are and they also include encryption of data.

I use LogMeIn ( not unlike GoToMyPC which doesn't have a freeware version )
on several machines for remote maintenance.  They have no file transfer
facility but once you control the remote you can do HTTP or FTP downloads as
if you were at that PC.

Hope that helps.