ISS and ECHO

Greetings from Patrick N2OEQ 32323

This is a response to e-mails from andrew and emily

I have a good station; for ECHO , I purchased yaesu ft-8800r dual band rig
with a great reciever, utilizing diamond 500 vertical on 50 foot of 9914
which hears better on high angle passes. I joined amsat for 39.00, bought
echo book for 15.00 and donated 40.00 towards fund for echo. Maybe not
much but it was what I could afford. It would be easier and cheaper to
raise the power to 2 watts than for hundreds or thousands of amateurs to
buy beams and preamps. A lesson can be learned from commercial satellite
tellite telephone equipment and practice.
The ISS has been operating packet for years with sporadic activity from
the crew. For a couple of weeks last fall, the crew configured the kenwood
radio for cross band repeat and many people made quite a few contacts
which included some contacts with the crew who were listening in.
I personally believe the ultimate satellite contact is to have a QSO with
an astronaut. I personnaly prefer talking to someone rather than digital
be it packet or email.

Thanks again for the post and dont take it personally, thanks for your

73, pat