Re: International Space Station mode (fwd)

I agree with Drew but for different reasons.  Although APRS on the ISS is a
nice mode, it's not exactly what I would call universal.  Most APRS
stations don't use it (they are left tuned to 144.390) and even if they
did, the amount of traffic would overwhelm the ISS digipeater.  However it
does appear to have some benefit to those who use it, which is a good part
of why it should be in this mode.

The reason I don't think the ISS should be in voice mode is that most
people trying to use the ISS in voice don't work it responsibly.  Working
the ISS in voice mode is neither easy nor something that can be left to
chance.   By this I am particularly referring to the need for transmitting
stations to compensate for mode U/V doppler, something simplex users of
Mode V/U are not used to doing.  The result is that many stations are off
frequency which has the unintentional effect of appearing to jam the
satellite.  Other problems I noted are that even experienced users aren't
using NFM and don't watch their deviation (which took me a couple of
minutes to realize since I had not run into that situation before.)

So although I enjoyed working the ISS in voice mode, the feedback I
received from many people is that the user experience was not as good as
expected.  So while it would be good to turn on voice mode (and apparently
there will at some point be simultaneous voice and APRS,) I would recommend
that it not be turned on in voice mode unless the mode could be changed to
V/U.  This would solve some of the problems with off-frequency stations.

73,

Emily

At 06:41 AM 1/28/2005 -0500, McGrane wrote:
> [...]

W0EEC - CM87tm

Join AMSAT!  http://www.amsat.org